Posted by pauly

Yesterday we kicked off the third session of our Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition home game. The combat was fierce, and almost deadly on more than one occasion. Obviously it stands to reason that my geek affirmation for yesterday is:

Yesterday, I played me some Dungeons and Dragons

It was fun, it always is. At some point in the night, the game got slightly derailed, and we began talking of old dungeons and dragons moments. I figured I would share a few (as i remember them).

Scenario 1: Epic Level Game; The party is hiking through the mountains towards a city rumored to be crawling with undead. There has been a recurring enemy in the form of a Lich that the party has faced but failed to defeat several times. While coming around a bend in the mountain trail, they come face to face with the lich. Neither them, nor the lich, had been expecting to find the other here. Everyone stops and stares, not sure what to do. One of my players, Derek, was playing a druid. He whispered to my other player, Rob, who was playing a class certainly, but not one I remember, and said "Psst...Rob...I have a plan, give me all your money..." Rob did as he was asked, and handed Derek almost 2000 gold pieces. Derek slowly and quietly put the money into his bag of holding, and then went back to staring at the Lich, having pocketed all of Rob's money.

That is probably my very favorite role-playing moment of all time. The only other one I will tell is the story of why my wife doesn't play Dungeons and Dragons with me any more.

Scenario: The party was low level, 1 or 2 maybe, and had been fighting some kobolds in caverns north of the city, where their paladin had died. They left without bringing his body back, and were asked to go back and retrieve it. On the way back, they found a halfling, surrounded by rotting zombie dogs. I should probably note at this point, that my wife was playing a halfling bard, who was less than good (alignment wise).
The party attacked the zombie dogs. All of the party, that is, except my wife, who weaved her way through the zombie dogs to get to the halfling. From behind, she bludgeoned him to death with a sock filled with gold coins. While the rest of the party fought zombie dogs, she cut the skin off his head with a broken piece of mirror, and then pried his skull open with a crowbar, so she could feast on his brains. She managed to eat his brains, undergoing many fortitude saving throws to combat her bodies urge to vomit.

Somewhere, she had gotten it into her head that by eating the halflings brains, she would get his powers...when I told her that was not the case, she was pretty upset, and since then she has never played dungeons and dragons with me.